Dear Parents & Carers,
Firstly, on behalf of the governors, staff and students at The Philip Morant School & College, we would like to invite you to our Virtual Open Evening on Wednesday, 30th September at 7 pm.
Over the course of the evening we will be uploading a number of videos showcasing the exciting opportunities at The Philip Morant School and what life is like as a student.
Why choose The Philip Morant School & College?
Students who attend The Philip Morant School & College tell us that they enjoy school and appreciate all the opportunities available to them. Over the last three years students have performed well, with more students achieving strong passes (grade 5+) in both English and Maths.
Over the last few years, we have:
- An increasing progress 8 score which places The Philip Morant School above national expectations.
- 66% of students achieved a grade 5 or above in English
- 56% of students achieved a grade 5 or above in maths with 51% achieving a grade 5 in both. This trend is increasing over time.
- 20% of students achieved a grade 7 or above in English and/or Maths.
- Strengthened governance & leadership with the appointment of a Head of School, two deputy headteachers and new assistant headteachers to lead improvement in areas, such as SEND, Personal Development & Well-being, and Standards. .
- Revised our Curriculum to ensure that it was challenging, well-sequenced and knowledge rich;
- Improved attendance & behaviour still further by launching & embedding a new Behaviour for Learning Policy and Anti-Bullying Policy, as well as appointing Heads of Year to support the care, guidance and support provided for our young people;
- Established a new governing body with the skills and ambition necessary to challenge the school’s leadership still further;
- Launched a new Rewards Programme;
- Re-introduced homework in order to support students with the acquisition of knowledge and develop their understanding still further;
- Improved the quality of our assessment & reporting so parents and carers receive timely and accurate information about how their children are performing at school;
- Relaunched our Sixth Form College under the name ‘Sigma Sixth Colchester’, as well as hosting the Sports Academy.
Our teaching and support staff are committed to your child’s education and well-being. We want each and every young person to thrive at school and be successful in whatever they choose to do next.
At The Philip Morant School, we enable everyone to live our values of ‘Aspiration, Success and Kindness’. These three words underpin our approach to all aspects of school life.
Should you choose The Philip Morant School for your son or daughter, we look forward to working with you and hearing about your child’s achievements – whether that’s in the classroom, on a pitch or stage, or outside of school.
Mr Scott Holder Mrs Neill
Executive Head Teacher Head of School