Over the last term we have made a number of changes to continue to increase the safety of students on site. This letter is to inform you of those changes and to advise you on areas where we need your support too please.
We have reviewed traffic and student movement on site with the following changes now implemented:
- Students no longer walk around the front of the school between lessons or at social times.
- Changes to the route students take to access the astroturf and the field to stay away from areas where cars are parked.
- An earlier opening of the gates by 5 minutes to reduce the number of students waiting around the school gates and to reduce the number of students accessing the school at the same time. The school gates now open at 8:10am for an 8:25am start. A warning bell rings at 8:20am.
We have changed our signing in procedures and in this area we need your support.
- Please ensure your child arrives to school on time and that they register with their tutor. All students should be in their tutor room by the second bell at 8:25am.
- If a student does arrive late, they must register at student services, entering M block through the door by L block. Should they not register you will receive an absence text and they may receive a sanction.
- If you are visiting the site, please ensure that you speak to reception through the intercom and do not tailgate another vehicle or walk through the pedestrian gate when it is opened for another reason. This ensures we know you are on site. We are waiting to replace our school gates. As a result there will be times when we need to close the gate during the school day. Wherever possible please access the school on foot and enter through the pedestrian gate.
- The responsibility for safeguarding sits with us as a whole community: staff, students and parents, please support us with keeping our children safe by following these procedures.
We encourage you to make all appointments for your child outside of the school day, however we appreciate this is not always possible. Please ensure if your child does have an appointment that they attend as much of the school day as possible, attending before or after the appointment.
The following arrangements will be in place with immediate effect for any student needing to leave site during the day:
- If a student needs to go home because they are unwell you will be asked to collect them and speak to a member of staff involved when you collect them.
- If your child has an appointment please complete the form on our website which can be found by navigating to our website and clicking on Parents\Absence or by clicking on this link https://philipmorant.essex.sch.uk/parents/absence/
- If you collect your child, you will need to sign them out at reception.
- If anyone else is to collect your child, you will need to give us their name and we will check their ID when they come to collect. They will need to sign your child out.
- If your child has an appointment and you wish them to make their own way there, then please select this option on the website form. If it is not clear whether they have permission to leave on their own, we will not allow them to leave until we have made contact with you.
- In all these circumstances, students will be issued with an “Authorised Absence Pass.”
Thank you for your support in ensuring we all work together to keep our children safe.
Mrs S Neill
Head of School