I am pleased to welcome you to the Philip Morant website. It is an exciting time for the school as we build on our proud traditions and continue to develop confident, ambitious and informed young people.
Philip Morant is a popular, mixed comprehensive, in north-east Essex. The school has served the town of Colchester for over half a century and has a tradition, not only of excellence in education but also caring for its young people. Philip Morant is a happy school in which, overwhelmingly, students feel safe and achieve well.
We have made significant progress since our last Ofsted inspection.
Over the last three years students have performed well, with more students achieving strong passes (grade 5+) in both English and Maths.
We have also achieved the following:
- An increasing progress 8 score which places The Philip Morant School above national expectations;
- 66% of students achieved a grade 5 or above in English;
- 56% of students achieved a grade 5 or above in maths with 51% achieving a grade 5 in both. This trend is increasing over time;
- 20% of students achieved a grade 7 or above in English and/or Maths;
- Strengthened governance & leadership with the appointment of a Head of School, two deputy headteachers and new assistant headteachers to lead improvement in areas, such as SEND, Personal Development & Well-being, and Standards;
- Revised our Curriculum to ensure that it is challenging, well-sequenced and knowledge rich;
- Improved attendance & behaviour still further by launching & embedding a new Behaviour for Learning Policy and Anti-Bullying Policy, as well as appointing Heads of Year to support the care, guidance and support provided for our young people;
- Established a new governing body with the skills and ambition necessary to challenge the school’s leadership still further,
- Launched a new Rewards Programme;
- Re-introduced homework in order to support students with the acquisition of knowledge and develop their understanding still further;
- Improved the quality of our assessment & reporting so parents and carers receive timely and accurate information about how their children are performing at school;
- An increasing roll. We now have over 100 more students in the school & college.
- Ofsted Parents’ View currently states that 100% of parents & carers would recommend the school.
Our ethos is encapsulated in three words: ‘Aspiration, Success, Kindness’ which underpin our approach to all aspects of school life.
Philip Morant & College is ambitious for all of its students in their pursuit of excellence whether that is in the classroom, on the football pitch, the stage or working within the community.
We are committed to achieving the highest standards and delivering an holistic education and experiences which prepare our students for the next stage in their education, training or work place.
Please feel free to contact us on 01206 545222 if you require any further information about the school, or would like to arrange a visit. We will offer you a warm welcome and let you see for yourself why we are proud of our school.
Scott Holder (Executive Head Teacher)